Today we are making hot chocolate with beets! Yes, do not be surprised. The Breath of Evil is indeed on the lover
2 cups coconut milk (or any other vegetable)
1/2 medium beet, boiled and grated (about 1/4 cup)*
3 tbsp. cocoa powder
3-6 pitted dates
1/2 tsp vanilla extract or half a vanilla pod
1/4 tsp. ground Ceylon cinnamon
A small pinch of fine sea salt
Whipped coconut cream and chocolate shavings for decoration – optional
*If the beetroot in the cocoa is a bit too much for you – use fresh or thawed pitted cherries – about a handful.
Let’s muddy the evil
- Blend the grated beets (cherries), cocoa powder, dates, vanilla and cinnamon in a blender until smooth, then pour in the coconut milk last.
- Taste the mixture – if you want it sweeter, add more dates or a spoonful of maple syrup.
- Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan and, without bringing it to an intense boil, gently heat the cocoa over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Since the drink is quite high in calories, we recommend dividing it into 4 small portions.
- Pour cocoa into glasses and decorate with cream and chocolate shavings on top